22 Apr BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
This vegan pulled (un)pork is my dream recipe, one I have been waiting for over a year to make!
It is so convincing, it could trick even the most carnivorous carnivores with its shredded meat-like texture and it is absolutely perfect for sliders!
The key to this recipe is to use your favorite bbq sauce (vegan of course) and don’t forget to add our Creamy Vegan Coleslaw.
This is definitely one of our favorites – let us know what you think!
- 2 cans Jackfruit In water or brine
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Peeled & crushed
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce Use your favourite!
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 6 Hamburger or Pretzel Buns (check ingredients to make sure they're vegan!)
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Drain and rinse jackfruit and place in a large bowl.
- Using 2 forks, shred the jackfruit until it resembles the consistency of shredded meat.
- To the jackfruit add ½ cup bbq sauce, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, yellow mustard, salt and black pepper. Toss until the jackfruit is completely coated.
- Cover the bowl and place in fridge for 1 hour or longer (upto 4 hours).
- Once the jackfruit is ready, add the olive oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add in the chopped onion and sautee for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add in the crushed garlic and sautee for 1 additional minute.
- Add the marinated jackfruit to the pan along with a ½ cup of vegetable broth. Reduce heat to simmer and stir well until the onions and jackfruit are well incorporated.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove lid and cook for additional 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly until all the liquid has burned off. Add additional ½ cup of bbq sauce, tossing until the jackfruit is completely covered.
- Remove from heat and serve with buns and coleslaw.