15 Mar Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
This delicious Roasted Vegetable Sandwich was inspired by my very best friend, who is currently expecting her second child. As pregnancies typically go, they are filled with lots of cravings. Her craving is sandwiches – all the time! With all our talk of delicious sandwiches, I knew one had to be created for plantbasedcityliving.com and here it is!
This isn’t your typical plain Jane sandwich, it’s packed with tons of flavour, thanks to our secret ingredient. What’s the secret ingredient you ask? Our delicious and flavourful Pesto!
For this Roasted Vegetable Sandwich, we used bell peppers, zucchinis, onions, alfalfa sprouts and tomatoes, but you really can use whatever veggies you like. While we use the oven to create this mouthwatering sandwich, on a nice summer day try roasting the veggies on your bbq to bring it to the next level!
Aside from the Pesto, the other key ingredient is the bread… this sandwich is much too yummy for boring white bread. It deserves to be made on your favourite bread, trust me when I say this is key. We used an 18-grain bread and Mmmmmm is it delicious!
The Alfalfa sprouts we used in this sandwich were grown by Brigette, she’s kind of a big deal! I personally wouldn’t dare try growing anything – it never ends well. Brigette on the other hand; well the alfalfa sprouts in the picture speak for themselves!
If you want to be let in on a little secret, Brigette and her husband are eating this sandwich for lunch every day this week! Hey, when it’s that good you eat it every day right?!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 to mato large
- 1/2 large red onion
- alfalfa sprouts store bought or try making your own!
- 8 slices your favourite bread
- 1-2 tbsp pesto store bought or try our recipe!
- 1-2 tbsp roasted garlic hummus store bought or try our recipe!
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise and add to a large bowl.
- Slice the bell pepper into large pieces, cut lengthwise and add to the bowl with the zucchini.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes, adding to the zucchini and bell pepper bowl. To the bowl add ½ tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss until veggies are fully coated.
- Lay veggies on a parchment lined baking tray ensuring no veggies are overlapping.
- Place veggies in oven for 20 minutes, removing after 10 minutes to flip all the veggies. Once done veggies should be slightly brown and roasted. For the last 10 minutes, keep an eye on the veggies as the tomato and zucchini may cook faster than the bell pepper.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion and add to a pan with the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Sautee the onions of medium heat until the onions become fragrant and start to become translucent.
- Cover one piece of bread with our homemade pesto and the other side in hummus. To the hummus side add ¼ of the roasted veggies, ¼ of the sauteed onions and a handful of alfalfa sprouts.
Place the pesto covered bread on top to finish off the sandwich. Repeat this step until you're out of ingredients, then cut the sandwiches in half and serve!