16 Jan Colorful Tofu Tostadas
When it comes to making food for parties, Mexican dishes seem to always satisfy.
They’re beautiful in color, full of flavor, and easily customizable from person to person.
These tofu tostadas with refried beans certainly fit the bill.
One of the things that make these tofu tostadas really pop is the super simple homemade pickled onions.
Feel free to get creative with your toppings – different flavors of guacamole, corn, beans, whatever you like!
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz pinto beans drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- chopped lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Remove tofu from packaging and wrap in absorbent cloth and place under a heavy baking pan to remove excess water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place pinto beans in a medium size pot and add water, completely covering the beans. Bring pinto beans to boil and reduce heat to medium low leaving the beans to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the beans become tender enough to mash.
- For the taco meat whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce and vegetable broth.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and oregano. Whisk until fully combined.
- Remove tofu from cloth and crumble tofu over a bowl with your hands or with a masher until it resembles ground meat.
- Pour the above mixture over the crumbled tofu and mix until the tofu is completely coated.
- Place the crumbled tofu on a tinfoil lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until the tofu is browned, mixing the tofu half way through.
- Once the beans are completely tender remove from heat and drain. Mash the beans with a fork until no whole beans are left.
- Add in the cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, water and salt. Mix until completely combined.
- Arrange corn tortillas on two baking sheets so no tortillas are touching. Take the 1 tbsp of olive oil and brush a tiny amount on top of all of the tortillas. Only enough to add a slight sheen to the tortilla.
- Sprinkle each with a little bit of salt and place in the 375F oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove from oven, flip tortillas and brush the other side with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Place back in oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until tortillas have become crispy.
- Arrange refried beans on the crispy corn tortillas, add the taco meat and top with salsa, guacamole, chopped lettuce corn, and pickled onions.